[Amps] X-ray dangers from amplifiers?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] X-ray dangers from amplifiers?
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:23:40 -0700
**  <11kV is supposedly  safe, unless the tube is gassy -- i.e., the
anode conducts via gas when the grid is in the cutoff region and the tank
swings positive.  Thus, one can have current flow at c. 19kV peaks
positive at the anode - which makes X-rays.

>At what anode voltage do valves begin to radiate dangerous X-rays? My
>schoolboy physics (Plank's constant, etc) suggests frighteningly modest
>voltages: around 2 Angstroms at only 5KV if there are suitable energy levels
>in the atoms of the anode material.
>
>I would guess that the self-shielding geometry of external anode valves
>reduces the problem, but the ceramic seals are still going to be transparent
>to X-rays.
>
>Am I worrying unnecessarily? Is the X-ray warning on, for example, the 8171
>data sheet just Eimac covering themselves in a litigious society? Should I
>invest in a lead apron?

**  I used no led shielding when I ran one and I suferrrd no brane danmag
whatsoevirrr . . .
cheerz, Alan

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end