[Amps] SB201 input network help.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB201 input network help.
From: k7ddmjb@qwest.net (Mike Baker)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:54:50 -0700
Hello again.
    Well, this time I started a project that is getting more complex as time
progresses.
I offered to service and update a friends Heath SB201 amp.  Put in the
Harbaugh soft start, new fan, new power supply filter board, glitch
resistor, new plate choke and new tube sockets.(the old ones were so bad
that one of the tubes had dropped down and shorted the plate connection to
the plate choke!)  Piss poor sockets.  Now have new porcelain/ceramic
sockets with clip type connections and the tubes stay where they belong.
(What a pain opening up the socket holes in the chassis with a nibbler and a
half round file, but it looks nice now.)
    In my infinite wisdom I decided to remove the unnecessary filter unit in
the input circuit as I needed the room for the new sockets anyway.  Well,
when I got it all together and tested it out, BAD match to the exciter on
all bands and it won't tune out by adjusting the slugs.  So, drag out the
SB200 manual and compare the circuits.  All but the 40 meter input coil are
the same part number.  Different cap values and in the case of 15M, no cap
at all just a coil.  So, now here is the $64,000 question.
    Do I just duplicate the values that the SB200 uses and retune or is
there a better method?  Anyone done this before and have a better fix?  Is
the Q of the input circuit from the SB200 too low and it will look bad to a
solid state exciter?  I am open to suggestions.  It looks like either way, I
have to work on the input network but I would like to not have to do a total
rework if I don't have too.
    So, what say you group?  Suggestions???
    Thanks in advance for the help......
Mike Baker  K7DD