[Amps] KVAR Caps Rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] KVAR Caps Rating
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com> (Karl-Arne Markström)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 00:15:09 +0100
Hello,

It is most certainly true that this is a complex matter.

Maybe the most appropriate action now is to find out what capacitance the
capacitors referenced to
in the original post have. If they are too low capacitance for blocking
capacitor service in the intended circuit,
the questions will have to be reformulated.

My own practical experience of interpreting the RF performance of  "doorknobs"
comes from selection and use of Thomson-LCC  (now Kyocera TPC) 3000 pF 20 kV AC
rated units, 60 mm diameter (rated at about 5 kVAr at 8 MHz), as replacement
plate blocking capacitors in Granger and Marconi HF transmitters in the 5 to 10
kW power class. No known failures did occur during the remaining lifetime of
the transmitters.

Design curves from this manufacturer, albeit somewhat difficult to interpret,
do show an approximate 1/f relationship for maximum RF current vs frequency.

Also, 2000 pF 10 kV ceramic blocking capacitors (Centralab manufacture) of
about the same size
(ca 80 mm) held up nicely in Collins 208U-10A amplifiers even when, somewhat
carelessly,
tuning up at  > 15 kW levels.

I am looking forward to sharing your findings in this matter.

73/
Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM