[Amps] electronic switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] electronic switching
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun Jun 22 09:30:18 2003
2 wrote:

> **  QSK-CW is even rarer these days than traditional CW.

If you have a rig with decent QSK it can be great.  Unfortunately,
almost all modern transceivers have terrible QSK.  The TS850s, for
example, sounds wonderful when testing into a dummy load, but when you
try operating QSK on a crowded band the overlap between PLL locking
times and t/r switching results in all kinds of clicks and pops.

My current setup is an Elecraft K2/100 with a mod to speed up the QSK a
bit, driving an Alpha 86.  Both have PIN diode switching.  The other day
I had an hour-long high speed CW contact which was like a full-duplex
conversation.  A lot of guys say they don't like to operate QSK, but the
real problem is that the QSK feature doesn't work properly.

Vic K@VCO