[Amps] GS-35 being cantankerous

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GS-35 being cantankerous
From: G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Tue Jun 24 08:56:11 2003
Steve Maki wrote:
>K8GM asked me to post this plea for help...
>
>He is playing around with a GS-35, and so far hasn't been able
>to be happy.
>
>The symptom is as follows:
>
>As the drive is increased, at some relatively random point,
>the tube makes a single pop - he says it sounds like someone
>snapping their fingers. He sees no abnormal meter indication
>or change in output - in fact, the amp continues to operate
>normally. There's only one small problem - when the pop happens,
>it distorts the plate choke windings. They sort of get all
>bunched up as if some large force tried to slide them along
>the form with enough force to stretch the wire and cause over-
>lapping.

That's a sure sign of a large current pulse through the choke,
generating magnetic forces which try to pull the turns together.

>No fuse blows,

That may say as much about the fuse as anything else :-)

>and except for this occasional pop,
>the amp works great.
>
>His supply is c. 3500V, and he's tried a couple of different
>chokes, both commercial and homebrew. It appears to be strictly
>a tube issue, rather than associated circuitry, but in our
>preliminary web search haven't come up with references to this
>problem.

It has been discussed here, more than once. There are internal photos of
an arced GS35b at www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/misc/gs35a.jpg and
...gs35g.jpg

>What's happening here? Does the GS-35 need some kind of magic
>pre-conditioning?

Many do; some don't. Remember that the GS35b is one of the older
generation of Russian tubes "made in a tractor factory" so there is some
variation. Also it may have been in store for some years, so there may
have been some outgassing of internal structures.

>He has idled the tube at full voltage for a
>few hours, but that didn't do the trick.

Think about more like a 24-hour burn-in - see recommendations at
www.nd2x.net

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'