Re: [Amps] PS Theory ?

To: AMPS <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PS Theory ?
From: Ron <w8ron@stratos.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:32:04 -0400

Hmmm .

Let's see ......the question was " How can I tell the power capability of a transformer?".

I have seen in the literature or handbook where one could resistively load
the transformer so that the unloaded voltage  would drop by 10%.  The loaded
voltage and current would be the rated voltage and current for that paticular
transformer.

In doubler service , you wouldn't expect the same supply output current but 1/2 if you could draw smooth current. I think that this was what the fellow was asking by using that example and was a little confused. I don't think that all peak numbers add anything to the answer to the question.

As far as peak instant currents and service ....well that another issue.

Your not going to drive the core into saturation as the primarys are running fixed rated voltage so the only worry is IR heating in the windings. Drawing 4x currents into a capacitive load is acceptable in that the heating is also short and the windings and core will shed the heat during non conduction times.

If you have such a large filter where you are running conduction times of
1 mS out of 8 mS, you might want to consider adding a series inductance before the diodes or filter to lower harmonic currents and correct the power factor instead of re designing the transformer you have at hand.

Last rule of thumb. If you can fry an egg on it ...it's too hot :-o

---
Ron

rlm wrote:

Actually in doubler service I think the transformer peak current
is about four times the DC output current in a capacitor input filter.

9x to 10x is closer to it since the conduction period is c. 1mS per half-cycle.

A transformer should be designed for doubler service.

Amen, Mark