[Amps] Roller Inductor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Roller Inductor
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:09:57 -0500
A while back I posted difficulty with the roller inductor on my Henry 2K
Classic X floor console built in 1992.  This amp tunes the plate with a roller
inductor and has fixed plate caps.  The roller inductor is a wear item and was
loosing good contact at some points and very stiff and sticky in others.  I
cleaned it completely and then asked about lubricants.  Most recently there has
been a thread about these lubes on this list.
I had purchased a very nice PalStar antenna tuner with a big roller inductor in
it this year and after not getting any response elsewhere about lube I asked
Paul at PalStar.  He sent me some they make there and said a little dab will do
ya, so it must be a black Brillcream.
I applied the lube to the roller friction points front and back, the inside
rotating contactor guide bar, and very small amount along the inside of the
coil edges where the contactor rides.  The results are impressive.  After a
month of use the roller now remains smooth in its action, no more arcing at
critical points when high power is being achieved, no more failed door knob
caps on plate, no more failed insulator on the roller coil assembly, etc.  I
will have to see how long this lasts and check occasionally for dust that might
gather.  When I do I will report back.  But so far so good.  Oh, by the way if
anyone has a new roller inductor for this amp please contact me, I would like
to have a spare on hand.
Gene Bigham KB0GU