Re: [Amps] OPINIONS PLEASE

To: Gudguyham@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] OPINIONS PLEASE
From: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:26:17 -0500
I own a new AL-1200. I chose this over the AL-1500 because I didn't see the
value of spending an additional $500 dollars for the AL-1500. Both amps
easily make the legal limit.  I bought this rather than the AL-82 because
I've had enough glass tubes in my ham career, including 3-500zg.  Ceramics
have enough advantages to overcome the price differential.

New AL-1200s (and the others) do not suffer from as excessive fan noise. The
new units have a EBM fan which is very quiet, and on the medium-high setting
(factory default) it is not appreciably noisier than similar tubeaxial fans
used on 3-500zs.  I also have a TenTec Centurion (2 3-500zg) which is
probably the quietest 3-500 unit on the market. The AL-1200 is not noisier
than the TenTec.

If you raise the fan speed to highest, it is noisier, but not bad at all.

Also, the T/R relays have been replaced with a much quiter unit in recent AL
82/1200/1500 so there is neither a loud 'clack' and the switching time is
way under 10 ms, so it is quite satisfactory. It isn't QSK, but still very
nice.

Finally, before deciding, I surveyed all the reviews and more importantly, I
saw a large number of contesters using the 1200. I figured that they would
be more demanding than most, and  more irritated with any problems.

So, it came down to $500 more for an addition 300 watts of anode
dissipation, and I just didn't think it was worth while.