Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays

To: "Glenn McNeil" <vk4tzl@bigpond.net.au>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:06:12 -0800

>Hi Gang..
>
>Anyone had any experience using the Opto22 series of SSR's in Power Supply
>construction ?
>I've got two Opto22 Model 240D10-17 Devices and was thinking about using
>one to control mains supply to a 3kv Power Supply. They supposedly use
>zero crossover switching but I was wondering about their behaviour during
>fault conditions. I will be using G3SEK Boards to control things, and
>ideally drop off the control voltage on the Opto22 during a fault, thereby
>removing the mains supply
>
>Is this a better way then using a beefy relay...

**  Probably not, Glenn.  Relay contacts typically have less V-drop than
a Si junction.  Also, relays are more likely to function in RF
environments.  Sometimes, high-tech is not without problems.  An example
is anti-lock brakes.  On a test-track, ABS is clearly the best, however,
autos equipped with ABS have a higher accident rate than those autos
without ABS.

cheers