[Amps] GBR and radiation exposure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GBR and radiation exposure
From: "John Nelson" <john@crew-green.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:16:38 +0100
>Rugby Radio (GBR) in the UK ran two MEGAWATTS on 16 kilohertz for many
years and so far there does no appear to be any 'peculiarity' among the
staff who worked there.<

Not a good example, since although it may have run 2MW into the antenna, the
efficiency of such an electrically short antenna would have been very poor
and the actual ERP probably not as high as in many amateur HF installations.
I was told by someone who worked there that my erstwhile local VLF station
at Criggion (GBZ, may it rest in peace) used to run about 800A or antenna
current for an ERP of about 5W on 19kHz.

HF broadcast sites run a lot of ERP and the field strength at ground level
can be very high in certain areas. However, BBC transmitter engineers seem
to live long and happy lives. And yes, I know they're M*rl*n nowadays but I
can't bring myself to utter the name . . .

73 John
GW4FRX