Re: [Amps] ARCO compression trimmer caps

To: Radio WC6W <wc6w@juno.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] ARCO compression trimmer caps
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:45:18 -0500

Hi John,
   "Quality Imports" .... that's an oxymoron.  Those might be good enough
to make a few nuts in brass.  A local tool supply carries some of the odd
sizes in "import quality" at about $3-4 ea. but, not the 12-40.

If you are making more than just a few nuts then you are doing something wrong. If you need a LOT of them you need to do more searching for a source of hardware or contact ARCO and ask to be bailed out.

Actually I have had pretty good luck with "quality imports" including
taps, carbide cutting tools, end mills, etc.  Not that I would use them
in a commercial manufacturing operation where down time is money,
but in my shop with an Okuma lathe, Tree mill, and sheet metal equipment,
I am pretty pleased with the performance of import tooling for model shop work.

On the other hand I needed some 3/8-32 taps the other day.  This is the
thread for a BNC connector nut as well as the mobile mount thread.  Oddball
enough that you have to do a little searching for them.

Found them in Houston and the ones I got are Regal brand and made in
the USA.  A 3/8-32 tap was only about $8.00, so I have to think that a
"made in the USA" 12-40 should be similarly priced at any tooling distributor.

http://www.regalcuttingtools.com/taps2.html

Regal Cutting Tools A Division of Regal-Beloit Corporation 5330 East Rockton Road - South Beloit, IL - 61080 Phone 1-800-435-2948 | Fax 1-800-992-1674

--John