Re: [Amps] Solid state amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid state amps
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:11:46 -0000
Dan K9ZF wrote:
> Is it just me, or is building solid state amps 'cost prohibitive'?
>
> Mechanically, it would seem a lot easier to build solid state, but the
> power fets just seem way too expensive.  For example, I  just read the
> article Win posted.  So I looked up the price of MRF 154's.....$485
> each!  Add in some stuff like heat sinks and an arc welder size power
MRF154s are an expensive way to buy power - basically, they are 4 x MRF150
in a single package - and more than double the price of the single devices -
MRF150s are 30 cents/W.

The thing with a tube amp is that you can collect a bunch of parts from
fleamarkets and build them into a plywood box on your kitchen table to get a
low cost working amp. Not so easy with transistors, but if you compare the
cost of building both using all new parts, the difference is smaller.

Steve