[Amps] Acceptable spurious emmissions level?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Acceptable spurious emmissions level?
From: Dan Levin <djl@andlev.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:38:40 -0800 (PST)
As part of the requirement definition process for Project Gamma (our "Open
Source" 1500 watt solid state amplifier project), we are trying to set a spec
for worst case spurious emmissions (a link to the draft requirements document
is at http://www.k6if.com/ssamp/ ).

The FCC requirement is 43 db down from the fundamental, and not more than 50
milliwatts (which is a hair less than 45 db down from a 1500 watt fundamental).

Our current sense is that something more conservative would be appropriate -
maybe 50 db down worst case.  Any thoughts or comments to share?

If you are interested, the discussion forum for this topic is at
http://k6if.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php .

Thanks!

                          ***dan, K6IF