Re: [Amps] defense of distributors tspa

To: <craxd1@ezwv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] defense of distributors tspa
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:00:48 -0500
Multiple sweep tubes were the economical way to go back in the '60's-'80's
as Radio Shack would replace them for free with lifetime guarantee, no
questions asked! Sort of like the Craftsman tool warranty.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC

M-2057's or 8908's would do about 1100-1200 watts PEP. That aint too shaby
for 4 glass tubes. There was one amateur amp, wont mention the name, that
tried to use (4) 6LQ6-6JE6's in it but ran them at 1200 VDC and thought they
would last, not hardly. I think it was rated for 1 KW input, I cant
remember. There was one amateur amp that did use I think 10 sweep tubes in
it that ran grid driven and was the Galaxy. I think it ran 6HF5's or
something, and was for legal limit. Some say it worked pretty good, but I've
never ran one. There was actually a design for a 4 tube 6LF6 or 6KD6 amp in
the ARRL handbooks in the 70's. I think it was a G-G amp and ran about 900
VDC on the plate. That era is pretty much over except for the Italians and
money being funneled back to Midland. Or I heard that Midland owned them,
actually two companies there doing it.