Re: [Amps] 8877 Time Delay Query

To: w2cqm@juno.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Time Delay Query
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:44:34 -0400
Dear Ron,

You will find a mix of opinions on this reflector regarding the
application of
Anode Voltage at turn-on.

However, there is a general agreement that running just filament voltage
for a
while "conditions" a tube.

Although 3 minutes as a minimum warmup period is no where near a
conditioning cycle, holding off the Anode Voltage during filament warmup
does no harm.

Several commercial broadcast transmitter manufacturers agree with this
policy, and several do not.

It's cheaper just to slam everything on, but if you are interested in
preserving the life of an 8877 triode, such considerations as
mentioned above, and strict control of the heater voltage to
it's rated standard may be beneficial in the long run.

Every amplifier I have ever built or modified contained
a means to monitor filamant voltage at the tube socket pins,
a cooldown blower and a High Voltage Interrupter.

Hal
W4HBM