Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.

To: <exray@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:17:53 -0700
On Oct 1, 2005, at 6:36 AM, <exray@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Wiil,
>
> For years it was and is common practice to outgas tubes by applying HV
> at low current i.e. one or two ma. till the tube arcs. Then reduce the
> HV a tad till the tube stops arcing. Leave the HV at this value for 30
> minutes or so. Then raise the HV slightly.

I have never heard this one.  If this procedure works as advertised,
why do manufacturers build an ion pump into large electron tubes?

> Also try to run the tube at reduced HV and a heavy load. Get it as hot
> as possible.

Running a 3-500ZG as hot as possible will cause the carbon (graphite)
to outgas.

> Then reduce the current to 1 or 2 ma. and raise the HV. This is a long
> process. BE certain to use a current limited supply.
>
> When you can hold off 20 to 30% more than rated HV your finished!

The peak positive anode potential in a linear amplifier with a tank
circuit is about 2x the anode supply potential   Healthy 3-500Zs are
rated at 4000V-max, yet they high-pot at > 15,000V -- or roughly double
what they encounter in linear service using a 4kV anode supply.  If I
high-potted a 3-500Z that measured 4000v plus 30% -- or 5200v, I would
put it in the scrap bucket.