Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:07:40 -0600
As is normal- I do not take much that Measures says as gospel- How many
pieces of equipment, wired for 220 or 240, have you seen that have
internal 120 usage? I have one dryer that has a 220 heater and lights
and timers that run on 120. Do all your amps use 220 to the PS and to
the fans? Not many.
Bill-W4BSG

R.Measures wrote:

>On Nov 15, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:
>

>>In a message dated 11/15/2005 6:03:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>>lists@w1nr.net writes:
>>
>>Your  safest bet is to run 4 conductor wire and outlets.
>>

>However, in the event that some outside force* manages to sever both
>the safety-ground wire as well as the neutral wire, a 5-wire system
>with two safety ground wires would be safer.
>
>* - such as the sky falling -
>

>>All new ranges  and
>>dryer circuits must be 4 wire.  As far as I am concerned, all new
>>amplifier
>>circuits should be too.
>>

>Having zero-I flowing in two wires is better than having zero-I flowing
>in one-wire?
>

>>Mike,  W1NR
>>

>>Many amps like an Ameritron AL-1500 have a 3 prong plug.  2 hots and a
>>ground.  It does not require a neutral so you only need a 3 prong
>>plug.  Any
>>appliance that requires 120/240 volts will require a 4 prong  plug as
>>you say.  But
>>not all amps require 4 prongs.  However it is  good to have the extra
>>wire in
>>the box if you come across an amp that does need  the neutral.
>>

>Sound advice

>Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734.  www.somis.org

Bill Aycock W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama