Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220V wiring: Was Question about safety ground connection
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:26:55 -0800
At 05:20 PM 11/15/2005, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

>Your  safest bet is to run 4 conductor wire and outlets.  All new ranges  and
>dryer circuits must be 4 wire.  As far as I am concerned, all new  amplifier
>circuits should be too.
>
>Mike,  W1NR

I'm not sure that is the "safest" approach, event though it is allowed by NEC.

IMO, the safest system is to use two hots and a safety ground, and no
neutral at all. This requires having NO 120 volt circuits in the
equipment, something which may require a bit of redesign, but is
quite doable. This eliminates the rare but real possibility of
problems due to an open neutral. As one other poster has observed,
open neutrals have been caused on more than one occasion by lightning strikes.

I believe NEC's position on allowing four-wire circuits is an attempt
to placate all parties involved rather than create a more safe but
awkward to implement (no-neutral) standard. Am I wrong?

73, Bill W6WRT