Re: [Amps] grid fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid fuses
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:10:27 -0400
Joe,

See below;

On 7/21/06 at 9:47 AM Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Will writes:
>
>> That would be like a capacitor charging up with only
>> one lead connected to a power supply, and the other lead left
>> un-connected. It can do it before the fuse blows, but not
>> afterwards, there's just no path for it to work.
>
>You have obviously not been knocked on your but by a capacitor
>that is totally disconnected from the circuit and in storage.

Oh yes, by 25-30 kV. That from the storage of HV in a CRT from a TV. That's the
possible charge between the anode and the aquadag coating.

>There is a reason that high capacity devices are shipped and
>stored with a shorting wire across the terminals.  They will
>spontaneously charge!
>
>If you don't believe it, get a multi KV 1000 uF oil filled cap
>and leave it set on the floor for a year or two then grab the
>terminals (don't do this at home and without medical help in
>attendance).

Joe, your not compairing apples to apples here. Your compairing a vary large
capacitor to a piece of wire about a foot long (if that) when its straightened
out. I've never seen the grid in a tube charge up by setting on the shelf.
Also, the re-charging of the large capacitor is caused by something else all
together different than what's in question.

>73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

Best,

Will