Re: [Amps] 3CX800A7 Orientation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800A7 Orientation
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:27:17 +0100
On 8/16/06, Larry <larry@w7iuv.com> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> My Eimac data sheet for the 3CX800A7 (dated 1 Dec 83) on page 3,
> mechanical:
>
> "The tube may be mounted in any position. If it is operated in an
> inverted (anode down) or horizontal position the SK-1916 chimney clamp
> assembly should be used for reliable retention."
>
> BTW the thing needs 33 CFM @ .88 inches water for cooling, assuming 50°
> C and 5000 foot elevation. How you gonna get that in a MLA-2500?

At 25C air temperature, a Papst 4600 family axial 120mm fan meets the flow
rate for about 700W diss. provided you take care with the airflow design.
It's the same size as the Dentron original, but I've no idea what the
original unit specs. are.

Small, low speed, radial blowers (ebm RL90, for example) don't do any better
than the best axial fans. A blower designed for pressure is always way
better.

Steve