Re: [Amps] Fw: Step Start on a 3KA Amp

To: Harold Mandel <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Step Start on a 3KA Amp
From: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:37:33 +0200
Hal,

The softstarter in the Emtron amps is a phase control triac system, not a
zero crosser. It allows gradually more of the primary AC sinewave into the
powersupply. By doing so there is no need for a series resistor to limit the
inrush current.
Although the series resistor current limiter is effective I consider the
phase control system more gracious.

I have put a quicktime movieclip on
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ham_amplifiers
showing the softstarter power up a lightbulb.

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV