Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:33:22 -0500
HAHAHA, Any of you guys actually run amplifiers?  You guys plug them into
120 or what?  Yeah I'm feisty today.

A correctly ran 8877 will exactly put out 2500 watts...
It will put exactly 1500 watts into the anode cooler at 4000 watts input.

4000V and 1 amp.

My old 4K-Ultra would do it day in and day out.  At idle it was a little
over 4KV and 4KV hammer down.

My 77DD design would make right at 5KW out when ran at maximum ratings even
at 10 meters.

The Alpha SX will comfortably run 3KW key down output.  They will go a bit
higher, but you are really abusing the unit.  My modified alphas would run
5KW at 80 meters and derate to about 4KW at 10 meters ICAS.  The tanks just
couldn't handle the poop.  Those were also dual vacuum variable units too.

When you throw a carrier on a 77SX at full power the filament supply would
severely dip..  You can see it in the plate meters. (and filament
measurement)

WHY RUN TWO TUBES?

You infact don't need to.  You do it to run illegal power.  DUH

HOWEVER, a second tube will allow you to run lower power distributed across
two tubes for heavy contesting where mistakes could be made.

I always thought an amp like a Henry 5K with 3CX1200's was a very contest
capable amp.  The 1200 is almost indestructible and a pair is bullet proof
at reasonable power.

While the 3CX1200 is a bulletproof tube, if you crank up the plate voltage
near its maximum 5KV rating, you will run over the maximum 1200 watts plate
dissipation.  That's the only bad thing about that setup.

"Give a guy more tubes and they'll just wind up the juice."

BOB DD