Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord

To: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 13:50:34 -0600
Thanks, Hal!

Nothing in the amp depends on 120 VAC return path to neutral (I
double checked). I used 3-conductor SJOOW "water resistant" wire,
16-3. It says it's rated to 300 V, not 600 V, which was a surprise.
So far, no smoke.

Your point is a good one, though: any 240 appliance that expects to
use the neutral for 120 applications needs to be a 4-wire system.
I've gone to some pains to isolate my station RF ground from the
mains ground and it isn't always straightforward...

Kim N5OP