[Amps] Surge resistor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Surge resistor
From: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:22:47 +0000
Tom, W8JI, says:
The small glitch resistors in your amp don't do a darned thing

I am in the process of finishing up my 8877 amp, and the plans I am using show a 0.6 ohm 1 watter and a 50 ohm 50 watter in series. So in the event of a flashover (milliseconds ?) the 0.5 ohmer is supposed to blow open? I can't see the value of the 50 watter. In case of extremely high plate current, such as hitting it with full drive and no load, say 2 amps of plate current flows and even then the big resistor only drops 100 volts, and heats up 200 watts. I wouldn't expect a wirewound power resistor to fail immediately under these circumstances, and I can't see how it is protecting anything.
What am I missing here? Is the 50 watter the wrong type?

I have other topics to discuss relating to control circuitry, soon.

Rick K2XT