Re: [Amps] (Fwd) Amp tube pin/socket de VY1JA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] (Fwd) Amp tube pin/socket de VY1JA
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:29:17 +0100
> I have resoldered the pins using silver-bearing solder of the type that
> will melt with a soldering iron set to 750 degrees f. I would be afraid
> to use solder that required a torch because of the seals.

At the risk of repeating myself, there are several things commonly
called 'silver solder'. If you take the tube to a model maker and ask if
he can silver solder it, he might think you mean braze it, and pull out
a gas torch to heat it to 750C/1400F - which will break the seals.

Until lead free came in, the most common silver solder wire was 62/36/2
tin/lead/silver which melts at 180C/362F compared with 190C/375F for
regular 60/40.

Lead free solder wire (also used by plumbers) is commonly 99.3/.7
tin/copper (227C/441F) or 96/3.5/.5 tin/silver/copper (218C/424F).

The mixes vary slightly from brand to brand, but I assume the last of
these is what's recommended for the tube pin. The low melting point
stuff beloved of audio enthusiasts will be easier to solder, and give a
much nicer joint, but it's also more likely to melt again.

Has anyone asked Eimac (or whoever) what they use. As an aside, if it's
not lead free it's illegal to sell equipment using the tube into the EU,
whether it's new or second hand.

Steve

PS Now there's no lead in pipes or solder, do we need to find a new name
for plumbers?