Re: [Amps] Transformer question...

To: "Bill Otten" <harpman54@tampabay.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer question...
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:04:56 -0400
Those oldies were made for tube rectifier and choke input filtering. Size
would indicate something in the 400-500 ma range at ~2500 or 3000 VDC, I
dont have quick access to my old UTC catalogs to confirm.
When used with the typical FW bridge and capacitor filter the regulation
suffers quite a bit due to the internal xfmr impedence and your peak amps
would be half if youre trying for the full secondary output.. The 115V
primary doesnt help either and would require a minimum of #10 wiring if more
than a dozen feet from the feed panel.

Been there done that years ago and with a 4-1000A. Finally rebuilt that amp
for Class C AM and did it the old way, Heavy and Loud!

Carl
KM1H