Re: [Amps] CB Amps or full spectrum???

To: chasm@texas.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] CB Amps or full spectrum???
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 07:47:25 -0700
chasm@texas.net wrote:

> I then searched on FATBOY and found several sites like Redman CB  and a
> Mexican site called ALA  or Amateur Linear Amplifier .  The latter sells all
> kinds of brands to include FATBOY such as Texas Star, Powerplate, Palomar,
> RMI, Silverstreak, etc.   I assume all of these are junk and very few of them
> meet FCC Class C or is that B?? specs ???

These are all CB amps. There are at least two problems which make them
unusable on the ham bands. One is that they often do not have biasing
circuits that are really appropriate for voice transmission, causing
severe distortion and splatter.

The other is that they do not have lowpass filters for each ham band (or
  any band). This means that you will get very strong harmonics
generated, far above FCC limits for spurious emissions.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco