Re: [Amps] 8877 Filament choke

To: "'Roger'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>,"'Bob Maser'" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"'Rick Stealey'" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Filament choke
From: "Saandy Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:44:55 +0200
...for the most part, these amplifiers operate the 8877 in grounded grid
configuration. As such, the input circuit is supposed to be above ground
RFwise.
Now, the capacitance between the cathode and the filament is quite high in
this tube. This reactance shunts a sizeable portion of the RF drive to
ground and this is what that choke is intended to prevent.
If you have drive to spare you can leave it out of the circuit, but if
you're marginal on drive by all means use it.
There is a more pernicious problem which I will not address here, just
mention it: high capacitive reactance from the grid to the cathode can
create propitious conditions for oscillations! The mechanism is complicated
but it does exist. If the grid is not perfectly grounded, you can be in
trouble.
Notwithstanding regular operation' always try to reduce parasitic reactances
to the minimum!
73 to all:
Alex    4Z5KS