[Amps] Vacuum Variable Fatigue Failures

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Vacuum Variable Fatigue Failures
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:19:33 -0800
Folks,

I was looking closely at the mechanical marvel that is a Jennings Vacuum
variable capacitor.
I am wondering about whether the copper bellows arrangement that allows
extension and
contraction of the "rotor" have a finite number of cycles back and forth before
they are likely
to fatigue crack at the folds of the copper.  It looks scarily fragile and
subject to failure with
heavy cycling from meshed to unmeshed condition... or perhaps there is a lot
more engineering
there, that I don't see to minimize that problem.  There's a reason why they
are so expensive...
How many cycles, if any, before they are prone to failure?
All the best,
Pat Barthelow    (916) 315-9271
aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Project Manager,  Jamesburg Moonbounce Team