[Amps] Warrior power amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Warrior power amplifier
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:08:05 -0700
In addition to Carl, KM1H's, suggestions:

You shouldn't need step start with this, unless the power transformer became
much stiffer, heavier. The choke will resist a major current surge. Also, if
you do get rid of the choke and only have C, it will need to be a lot more
Capacitance, and will probably need step start to protect the diodes during
chargeup.

I wouldn't recommend mucking with the parasitic suppressors unless they failed.
811 and 572B aren't as hot in the VHF gain department as some other glass
triodes.

The zener bias is a good idea. As for grounding the grids, short connections to
chassis are usually a good thing, unless Heath did something wierd. If the
thing has neutralization, you may have to re-set that as it would probably
change with different inductance from grid to ground.

Someday I am going to get my Heathkit Chippewa KL1 working, I finally got the
original KS1 power supply for it. The amp was hacked up by someone and I just
need to trace the wiring and understand the mods (fixed screen power supply
instead of string of VR tubes and dropping R). Now that was a stout Heathkit
power amplifier!

73
John
K5PRO