Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig

To: "'Pat Barthelow'" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, "'Jim Tonne'" <tonne@comcast.net>, "'Amps @Contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:14:54 -0400
Hi Pat,

The biggest problem with a choke input filter is the transient response of
the choke with SSB. It will allow the voltage to dip quite a bit on some of
the voice peaks as the amplifier demands current. A supply with no choke
doesn't have those kind of problems. A tuned choke on the other hand will
act like a capacitor input filter and will not have the transient problems
either.

73
Gary  K4FMX