Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Amps @Contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:21:29 -0400
Filtering isn't the problem. Dynamic regulation is a problem with a choke.
You get severe voltage drops when current is drawn at an audio rate from the
power supply. A swinging choke is even worse than a regular choke. They
should never be used in an SSB power supply.
Put a scope on the high voltage output of the supply with a choke (thru
appropriate divider resistors) and you will see some pretty nasty looking
voltage drops with modulation.
Only a tuned choke is desirable as it does not have the problems of a
regular choke.

Series resistance of the transformer is the second problem for voltage
regulation in a power supply used for SSB. We want as low a resistance as we
can get. Most of the older power transformers are not well suited for SSB
operation because of their rather high series resistance.

73
Gary  K4FMX