Re: [Amps] HV transformer issue

To: "'David H Craig'" <n3db@radix.net>, <TexasRF@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "'Dick Hanson'" <dick@dkhanson.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer issue
From: "Alex" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:02:30 +0300
Hi guys:
This is definitely an eddy currents issue. Don't forget this is a
potentially a 6kVA transformer: it doesn't take much of losses to generate
enough current for that kind of heating. Many manufacturers relied on the
lacquer impregnation of the transformer to serve as insulation for the
bolts, especially at the ends to eliminate shorts, so that this can explain
why the bolt close to the bent bracket heated up most. The paint or whatever
was damaged and allowed contact.
Use whatever insulating material that's thin enough to go in easily on the
bolts' bodies and some fiber washers under the heads, at least on one side.
The point is to insulate one of the ends to prevent forming a turn, like
somebody pointed out.
As a side line, just to get some impression: with one single turn on the
secondary side of a soldering gun, you have about half a volt of AC but it
generates a few tens of amperes for generating the heat. All this at about
100W level only; think what it can generate at 6000VA.
73 and all the best:
Alex    4Z5KS