[Amps] ALPHA DOA...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] ALPHA DOA...
From: cx7tt@4email.net
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:31:36 -0300
A MAJOR factor in my next amp purchase is whether it is SS or not. I
have had an Acom 1000 for 4 years now and really like it for it's quiet
operation and ability to cover 6m. Major issue is any repairs have to be
done by factory rep.
One day the amp was sitting at idle on 20m when a very loud "SNAP-POP"
happened. I tried a reset and it happened again. I then did the
procedure for the error codes and dutifully copied down all the
parameters. Call Acom and they said, "sorry, unable to tell by those
codes, must send it in". Well, that's a huge expense from Uruguay. Even
with my airline discount, the Pelican w/Acom 1000, weighs in at 71# so
it triggers $100 fee. So it gets to MIA and then Fedex (again airline
discount) up to MA then Fedex ground return + $$$ for repair then on the
jet at another $100 back to CX land. So it's around $300-400 to get it
repaired.
Luckily, I have Pedro, CX5BW who is a very good technician and knows
amps. We take the Acom apart and discover after taking out the filter
cap boards that one of the caps shorted against the bottom of the case.
We manage to repair with tape and fiberglass washer and I am 'good to
go' again. Only cost me a bottle of single malt...
Then, last week, using the same config for over 2 months....Acom feeding
a vertical dipole...the display goes berserk and  displays
gibberish...amp still works fine and  I rely on previous settings and
Digital wattmeter to tune.  A call to Acom once again sez, sorry, must
send it in. So  think I  will ever buy SS or fancy amp  again?  Naw,
just give me  a great tube amp w/o  the microprocessors, thank you.
73
Tom CX7TT
P.S. Have 30L-1 since 1987. Replaced all fil caps and rf parasitic
suppressors about 1 year ago and installed keying mod so can run
directly from K2, etc. GREAT amp...600-700 w...will never sell it.