Re: [Amps] {SPAM} Kilovac H-18

To: "'Dennis A. Homerick'" <DHomerick@neo.rr.com>, "'Dan Hearn'" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>, "'Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] {SPAM} Kilovac H-18
From: "Alex" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:44:56 +0300
...from my experience with Kilovac relays:
1) They tend to be on the high side as far as current consumption goes:
200mA for a 12V DPDT isn't unusual. An SPDT 26.5V coil reads about 635 Ohms
and this fits the data sheet.
It seems that your problem is mechanical in that the coil is activating but
the plunger mechanism inside the vacuum capsule is stuck, or else the
contacts themselves are welded together. The coupling between the internal
mechanism and the coil is purely magnetic through the glass so that hearing
a click means only that the coil is activating, not that the contacts
themselves are moving
There is a small nut located between the coil pins on the bottom of the
relay: loosen it and take off the coil. If the relay capsule is OK, the
contacts should revert to the NC position. And it means the coil section is
magnetized. If they don't you most likely have a stuck, therefore dead relay
since you cannot reach the contacts without breaking the glass.
I don't know if you'll se the picture I sent you but you van get the data
sheet on Tyco's electronic components site. And there you can see the
picture.
If it's gone, you CAN install a small enclosure on the back side of the
amplifier and install 2 SPDT relays there. Don't forget that the input
section can be much smaller than the output one.
Alex    4Z5KS