Re: [Amps] Input SWR

To: Amps@contesting.com, Robert Perdue <kc0hfl@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input SWR
From: Russ Williams <hrd998cc@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:09:53 -0800 (PST)
I am not familiar with that particular amp, but it sounds like something was
either damaged when the old tubes failed -or- something has changed during or
since the new tubes were installed.
I doubt the tubes would be the culprit since I have installed and used the RFP
3-500Z's with no problems in an L-4B.  (That is not to say they couldn't be the
problem)

It is obviously a common component to all bands, so I would look at the
following:

1. Check the coupling capacitors that feed RF to the filament (cathode) at the
socket.  These may be leaky (electrically) and are changing value.
2. Check other components common to the input circuit on all bands; e.g., T/R
relay, bandswitch, other capacitors, etc.
3.  Unlikey to be the problem, but does the tube socket grip the tube pins
sufficiently, and is the socket clean?

Any other ideas out there?

Russ
W6OHM