Re: [Amps] High voltage wire

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High voltage wire
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 03:13:31 +0000

> "I even dispense with the Millen HV connectors, &
> I have always used RG-8 coax, not foam, for HV wire.  I use HN
> series
> coax connectors.  They are a little pricey if you buy them new but I
>
> manage to find a sufficient supply by scrounging around in the
> miscellaneous boxes and ham fests.

Some years ago one of the "standard" SO239 coax connectors
would short out the HV supply at the Amp.  Then I switched to the HN
series
of connectors with RG-8 solid....never a problem after that,
but THEN I discovered WHY the SO239 was shorting out.  It
had a hair-line crack in it!  I think a standard SO239 (in good
condition)
would have been OK to use for the voltage I was running.

73,
Charlie, N0TT