Re: [Amps] help on a old transformer

To: amps@contesting.com, fitter4 <fitter4@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] help on a old transformer
From: Mel <itz_da_police@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:58:25 -0800 (PST)
Mike,

I am not familiar with the exact model of transformer but, if you don't mind, I
am going to take a "WAG"; the 2 red wires with the thick insulation (Red/Yel is
center tap) are the high voltage out winding.

The Black (maybe green) wires are the input; it there are four of them, you
have a split primary that can be wired for "125Vac or 250 vac input".

If, you have a split primary, connect wires 2 and 3 and feed 230 + vac into
lines 1 and 4, the primaries; you should see HV AC volts on the thick red wires.

If the transformer not marked, use your Ohm meter to find the common
connections and windings then feed the winding with Low voltage AC, (you do
have a Variac don't you?) and read the AC voltage on the other lines.  Make
your conclusions.

Check the transformer voltage from each HV AV lead to transformer frame to
check for shorts, the shoud not be any voltage reading to frame.

Final word; 6000 plus volts will fry your azz, if you don't know what you are
doing, just walk away and live another day, (SERIOUSLY)!