Re: [Amps] Dummy Load "Oil"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy Load "Oil"
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:11:36 +0000
Hi Dick,

> Since the Bird Silicone Oil is a tad pricey ($142/gal), can anyone
> recommend a substitute for re-filling a Bird Dummy Load ?

When I built my kilowatt-level dummy load, roughly ten years ago, in the
style of the venerable Heathkit CanTenna, I filled it with Shell Thermia
oil. The Shell distributor in my area would only sell at least one
bucket (five gallons), I convinced a few other club members that they
too needed large dummy loads, and we joined efforts to buy a bucket of
that oil. The bucket cost something like 50 dollars, if my memory is not
too leaky.

I still have this dummy load, and it's still working perfectly. No
degradation of the oil, corrosion of the resistor or can, or any other
problem has been noticed.

Manfred.