Re: [Amps] Dummy Load "Oil"

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>, Amplifier Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy Load "Oil"
From: Per Molund <pmolund@online.no>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:12:11 +0200
I have refilled a couple Bird Tenuline 8329 with Shell Diala DX
transformer oil which happens to be the same oil my local utility
company is using in their power transformers. I assume this oil is
quite similar to Exxon Univolt 61 or Nynas. The use of mineral
transformer oil will derate the dummy load a bit compared to
siliccone oil, but I have not had any problems due to this. As far as
I have seen Bird use mineral oil in most of the smaller dummyloads up
to about 1 kW (Oil P/N 5-030-3), while the larger ones use DC-200
Silicon Oil (P/N 5-1070-2). If I my memory serves me right, the old
Tenuline 8327 (1 kW) and 8329 (2 kW) are the same mechanical units,
the difference between them are mineral oil vs. silicone oil. I am
not sure if this is the same with the current -300 models.

I would suggest You stop by a local power utility maintenance shop if
possible and ask for a few gallon of transformer oil, You may be lucky.

regards,

Per - LA9XKA