[Amps] Tube gain vs frequency

To: AMPS submit <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tube gain vs frequency
From: Stirling Schmidt <kc0nxm@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:20:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all:
    I'll try to keep this short, but have several questions.  First, what
is/are the factor(s) that determine a tube's upper frequency response?  I tried
thinking (uh-oh!) but only deduced that ceramic tubes, with their much larger
plate structure, should only have more stray capacitance to a nearby ground
plane than a glass tube, and therefore much less usefullness into the vhf-uhf
region - obviously not the case, so what gives?  Second, wouldn't it be
beneficial to employ a tube for an HF amp that naturally begins to lose
efficiency above HF (seems like the 833 would be a prime candidate)?  Third, if
RF flows mainly on the surface of conductors, why don't ceramic tubes have an
insulator at the top (it seems as though all the RF flowing around the bottom
edge of the plate would concentrate heat exactly where it's least welcome - at
the seal - a top insulator would at least divide the current flow in half)?
Bear in mind these are beginners'
 questions - Thanks in advance for your consideration.

73 de kc0nxm