Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:25:23 -0500

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]
You can't say that about airplanes though.  Due to the certification
process of commercially produced aircraft you can build one far cheaper
than you can buy plus if you do a good job on one that is a desirable
model you might likely sell it for twice what you have in it.  The top
end Glasair and Lancair models easily do this with the pressurized
models being somewhat expensive to build, but with less than 100 hours
on one, it's likely to sell for as much as 3 times what you have in it.
OTOH there isn't a large market for toys that cost that much and use
several hundred dollars worth of fuel per hour.

Also the plane will be licensed to the maneuvers you test it for and you
can do aerobatics in them while that would be illegal with a standard or
utility category plane.  The only real limitation is similar to amps.
While the amps are limited to the legal power limit, GA aircraft are not
allowed to fly faster than the speed of sound...over the US, or in US
airspace. Both can be built with the capability to greatly exceed these
limits.

Like building amps: as has already been said, if you are building to
have an amp, you might as well go out and purchase one. The same is true
for aircraft, except both the cost and hours invested will exceed the
most elaborate "Kalifornia Kilowatt"<:-))

I'm sure most noticed that those who thought the metal working was not
that difficult were also very knowledgeable, experienced, and capable
builders.

73

Roger (K8RI)