Re: [Amps] Fleamarkets

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fleamarkets
From: Pete Lancashire <pete@petelancashire.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:39:32 -0800
Sadly it goes beyond HAMs/Electronics etc

I worked in both hardware and software from my days as an engineer at the
old
Tektronix

Recently aI co-working got is BS in Computer Science a few months ago. I
needed a simple
text filter using Perl. He could not do it. It took about 10 lines of Perl.

I have a small (well not so small) lab in my basement. A friend of a friend
who got his
BS in EE about 3 yrs ago was given a 60's transistor radio, I had him bring
it by. It first
needed a couple new electrolytics,  hadn't a clue how to go about how to
desolder
them. The fun began when I turned on a sig generator and the SA to align the
thing
he just didn't know what to do. And was in a daze when I did it w/o even a
schematic
I mumbled something about 'it is just a simple 6 transistor AM radio' BTW he
will has is
MS in a year.

A couple years ago a HAM has a intermittent in some super duper Yaesu HF
rig,
cost him thousands. He was scared to take the cover of. Found a loose
connector
in less time then it took to get that cover off, sent him home in less then
an hour.
BTW he had a Extra License.

I could go on for hours ...

-pete sad again

PS And dont get me going about why do Hams use MS Windows instead of
Open Source ..