[Amps] EBM fan

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] EBM fan
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:15:56 -0800
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:52:59 -0800
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] EBM Fan

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 06:44:10 +0800, Alek Petkovic wrote:

>In the case of my amp, because we have 240VAC mains, it is sitting
>across 1 half of the primary winding of the transformer. Not an ideal
>situation.

There is nothing "non-ideal" about this -- it is a perfectly good way to
operate a 120V fan from a 240 volt source. Many good power amps are built
that way, including some Ten Tec and Alpha models.

73,

Jim K9YC

##  since nobody is about to run a 8877, or any other big amp on 120 vac,
they are all [ or should be]  run on 240 vac. [ plate xfmr]  [in NA]

##  still, since I have a 4 x wire circuit, 2 x hots, 1 x neutral, and 1 x grnd,
either hot.. to neutral has 120 vac between em... and small stuff like blowers
can be run on 120 vac.   Sure, I could order the same blower /fan in the
240 vac version, but here's why I don't.    Any 240 vac  fan /blower/small fil
xmfr, etc, would then require a 2 x pole on/off switch.  I have separate
switch's
for the small stuff.

## Then I can run the blower and fil.. with no B+..  [when conditioning new or
rebuilt tubes]
When done for the night, B+ is shut off, then fil is shut off,  and blower is
left running by
itself  [ aka 'blower over run']  for a few minutes.

later... Jim   VE7RF