Re: [Amps] Drake L-7 arcing on 80m

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L-7 arcing on 80m
From: Bill Dzurilla <billdz.geo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:26:54 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to all who responded on and off line.  As suggested by Carl, I removed
the cover and tried it again.  Rig was connected to a Heathkit Cantenna dummy
load.  As suggested by several, I set the Load control to 5 at the start, to
prevent under-coupling.  I made a video of the procedure and, as you can see at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJRyNQnkEWA
there was arcing again.  The arc occurs near the end of the video clip, at the
1:18 mark.  You can see it on the first 2 turns of the coil that is on top of
the Plate capacitor.  Not sure if this is a reflection or if the coil itself
was arcing.  I did not see any arcing from the capacitor.

Not sure how visible it is on YouTube, but I have watched this several times in
slow motion.  You can see a bit of the rotor of the Load capacitor on the left
side of the screen, and also a bit of the output meter. At least in slo-mo, you
can see output going up as I start to turn the Load cap to the left, then the
tubes start to redden and the arc occurs.

If the turning of the Load cap to the left resulted in under-coupling and
caused the arc, I'm not sure how to proceed, because output was very low with
the Load cap set at 5.

Comments, ideas, advice?

73, Bill NZ5N