Re: [Amps] Drake L-7 arcing on 80m - with video

To: amps@contesting.com, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L-7 arcing on 80m - with video
From: Bill Dzurilla <billdz.geo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:49:15 -0700 (PDT)
Carl and all,

I may have lucked out this time.  I was able to obtain full 1200 watts output
on both 80 and 160 meters simply by refusing to turn the Load capacitor to less
than 4.5.  I left the Load cap on 5 and tuned the Plate cap for maximum output
while slowly increasing drive.  The video camera was rolling, but no arcing,
and no sign of excessive redness in the tubes.

Still not sure everything is 100%.  It seems as though the amp wants to see
less loading, because output went up when I turned the Load cap from 5 to 4.5.
You can see this in yesterday's video.  At the moment of the arc, I was turning
the Plate cap to the left and output was increasing.  The arc occurred with
Plate at 4 or perhaps even 3.5, so today I just would not go below 4.5.

So am I good to go or what?  Several folks said right from the start that my
problem was under-coupling, and it seems they were correct.

73 and many thanks for all the responses and emails,
Bill NZ5N