Re: [Amps] Measuring amp B+

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring amp B+
From: K1SG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:44:56 EST
Hi Randy,

I've been using my 80K6 HV probe quite successfully and safely for
measuring HV in KW amp power supplies. Do follow the instructions, and my
policy
is to set everything up, make the connections, and then turn on the supply.
Take  all of the usual precautions to make sure HV is ALL the way down,
unplug, use  bleeders and a chickenstick, then measure the voltage to make sure
it's down to  zero before disconnecting.
I believe the concern is that this kind of probe can be used for  measuring
PS voltages at amateur levels, but should not be used for measuring MV
voltages on AC lines (14.4 KV, with no fuses or breakers to protect you.)

I'm speaking from limited personal experience only, and this should not be
taken as gospel...perhaps one of the more serious HV guys could comment
further,  so please no lawsuits!

I am reminded of this video, though...I know it's been referenced here
before, but I had to go look again.
_http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower_
(http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower)
Don't use your Fluke probe here.

Steve

Steve  Gilbert
K1SG
K1SG@AOL.com

In a message dated 1/26/2011 5:27:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,