Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: ditzian@windstream.net, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: K8MLM@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 04:36:06 EST
Jan,

OK Got it. No additional suggestions right now.

Bob
K8MLM

In a message dated 3/2/2011 10:22:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ditzian@windstream.net writes:

Bob,

The relay which seems not to work is K5, the vacuum  relay.  I have ordered
one.  The problem is that, as I check  continuity, none of the poles are
connected to each other.  This means  that the SPDT relay is actually a 0PDT
(no pol, double throw) relay.  I  think this is the problem.  If you look at
the schematic, which appears  to be in the state of amp standby or off, if
nothing is connected to anything  at K5, then the HF input goes nowhere.
This is exactly what happens:  with the amp off, exciter connected to amp
input, dummy load connected to amp  output, I have high swr on the exciter.
With
this configuration, the  exciter should be looking at the dummy load, and
the amp should be passing it  through.  K4 would normally be open at this
point anyway, so I did not  try to figure out what it did.  I believe that K5,
which I think is the  QSK T/R switch, not only does not switch, it is
completely burned out, so it  does not even pass anything in the off position.

Jan,  KX2A