Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@inbox.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:11:42 -0500
On 03/04/2011 10:15 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> Does it have a diode connected across it?  And your forward biasing it
> instead of reverse biasing it?
>
> 73
> Jim W7RY

I received the replacement HC-1 relay from Max-Gain Systems.  I
purchased a used one, but it is pretty clean.

I have a question.  The relay came with a diode and a capacitor across
the power terminals.  The original one has no components.

A bit of digging suggests that this is a ceramic capacitor.  Its labels
are: (side 1) JAVX 8722 DY, (side 2) M390 14/01 1553. A 2005 thread in
rec.radio.amateur about a component with similar (not the same) labeling
across an RJ1 vacuum relay suggests that this is a capacitor.  Should I
leave the diode and capacitor in place?  My guess is to leave them.

I have a second question.  I just finished removing all five connections
to the old relay.  How do I take it out?  It is mounted with the relay
nut underneath the chassis, but with a small PC board over the relay
below the chassis, with a large hole, through which I managed to
unsolder the power leads.  However, the relay is pretty well tightened
down with the nut.  Is it save to grab the relay above the chassis with
pliers and try to turn it, or should I try to move the PC board.  The
board is attached to posts with two nuts, but there are so many
connections that I am unsure whether it will move after I remove the
nuts.  It does not look like there is enough clearance for a wrench to
reach the relay nut.

Jan, KX2A