Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@inbox.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77 start up
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:03:58 -0400
I removed the old vacuum relay and put in a new (used) one.  Now the
exciter sees the antenna or dummy load at the output.  That is the good
news.

I have an external swr/wattmeter, and it shows 1:1 on the dummy load
with the exciter (Ten-Tec Omni VI) through the amp.  This holds when the
amp is in Standby or Off.

When I look at the amp multimeter, the forward power is very low, and
the reverse power is much higher, on the meter.  I then returned the
exciter to zero power and switched the amp to CW position.  The CW light
lit, so the delay seems to be working OK.  However, when I turned up the
power, the grid and plate meters did not show anything.

I repeated this while looking at the external swr/wattmeter.  In Standby
position, the meter shows exciter output, but in CW position there no
longer seems to be any output.  If I look at the meters on the exciter,
it looks like there is high swr at the exciter when the rig is in CW mode.

I watched the ALC light and it never lights, but I am not using ALC from
the exciter.

I think that the above test indicates that I either did not successfully
wire the relay, or there is a related problem.  Is there a way for me to
verify whether or not the relay is working?

Thank you,

Jan, KX2A